Sunday 7 December 2014

Challenge No.3 - Fancy Jasper

Finally I've finished my third challenge.  Unfortunately this one took much longer than the others.  The biggest hold up was that I ran out of some essentials and then once they had arrived my cat, Maple, sadly passed away. Although a large part of me wants to wallow I know the best medicine, to take my mind off things, is to focus on something creative, so I threw myself back into the challenge.

Challenge number 3 was inspired by Laura Binding, one of Jewellery Maker's guest designers.  Whilst browsing youtube I came across a Designer Inspiration show with Laura Binding doing a tutorial of a wire wrapped pendant. You can find it here.  She made it look so easy I decided to give it a go with a bead I received in one of JM's bead scoops.  It was so much fun and I was so impressed with my finished pendant that I've kinda become a bit addicted to creating them.  I did it with five beads on this challenge!!

I hope you like my creations....



This pendant was made with Vintage Bronze coloured Artistic Wire bought from The Bead Shop website.  The chain is Viking knit using the same wire.  Unfortunately, I don't have a proper Viking knit tool (will definitely be getting my hands on one soon), instead I use a thick cardboard tube that came wrapped in yarn.  I have, of course, used the yarn and I've drilled 8 holes in the top.




This one was made using the same techniques but with silver plated copper wire from wires.co.uk and Jewellery Maker.  The following two were also made using the same techniques but using black coloured copper wire and gold coloured copper wire from the aforementioned shops.






I also made a ring using the same technique with the Vintage Bronze wire.




In addition to these pieces I also made another necklace and a bracelet.




I used gold coloured wire to create the links between each bead.  I also used the same wire to create my own clasp.  I've really been enjoying making my own clasps lately.  In my opinion, if you're creating wire work pieces then using the same wire to create a clasp makes the piece look seamless and more professional.


For the fifth necklace I decided that the bead had such interesting markings on it that it should be left as it is.  So I created a simple bail using a headpin and attached the bead to some waxed cotton cord.




So there's another 7 pieces added to my collection.  I hope you've enjoyed reading this posts and seeing my latest designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment